Our Dealership company started in 1939 in West Brooklyn, Illinois as a garage and service station. It sold Pontiac and Dodge cars, Dodge trucks and Conoco fuels through Central Oil Company in Mendota. the Business was founded by Harry Schimmer and Operated in West Brooklyn until January 1942.
The service business was moved to Mendota in early 1942. In partnership with Jack Klinefelter. In June of 1945, the dealership was moved to the corner of Sixth Street and Sixth Avenue in Mendota and again operated as a Pontiac dealership and a Standard Oil gas station. Don Schimmer joined his father, Harry, in the dealership operation at that time.
In June of 1949, the dealership was move to 1503 Washington Road in Mendota. In June of 1950, Don Schimmer became the operator of the business. From 1958 to 1960, the dealership sold Voxhaul automobiles in addition to Pontiacs at the Washington Road location. In November of 1979, Schimmer's acquired the Buick and Oldsmobile franchises from Harvestside Chevrolet and combined the old Harvestside Chrevrolet building operation with Pontiac/Olds/Buick operation.
In June of 1984, Jeff Schimmer joined his father in the dealership operation. in 1988, Dona Schimmer-Scharff joined the operation with her father and brother.
In 1989, a new dealership location was established on Route 251 south of Mendota. The dealership was managed by Don Schimmer, Jeff Schimmer, and Dona Scharff.
In the 1990s, a new addition to the Schimmer dealerships was added in Peru, Illinois, selling Ford and Lincoln vehicles, before adding Hyundai's in the early 2000s.
At the Mendota location, Oldsmobile vehicles were dropped from the business, and later, Pontiacs, with the Mendota dealership focusing on just Chevroler and Buick vehicles.